Re: Preserving trailing whitespace?

CORRECTION: I made a mistake, and Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace indeed
works.  So you can ignore everything that I wrote about that, below.

However, I still am having the problem with trailing whitespace
disappearing per steps 1-8 below.

With Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace set, I can see the white space
disappear at step 5.  In fact, it goes away even if I leave out step 6.

I want to have the option of preserving trailing white space, and if I
choose to do so, I'd always like the cursor to be positioned _beyond_
this trailing space if I position to the end of the line.

Is this possible in jed?

Thanks.

P.S. -- The reason I want this is because sometimes, trailing whitespace
        is significant.  For example, when using Markdown, the way to
        specify that lines not be wrapped is to put at least two spaces
        at the ends of these lines.

At Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:22:11 -0500,
Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> I'm using version B0.99.17, and I'm noticing that trailing white space
> sometimes disappears.  What I mean is this:
>
> 1. Open a file with jed.
> 2. Go to an arbitrary line.
> 3. Append some white space to the end.
> 4. Go somewhere else in the file and make other changes.
> 5. Position back to the original line and go to the end.  The cursor
>    will be positioned after the final character as if no white space
>    exists.
> 6. Cursor down a few lines.
> 7. Save and exit.
> 8. View the file in some other editor.  The line where the trailing
>    white space was added no longer contains any trailing white space.
>
> However, if I only do steps 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8, the trailing white space
> remains.
>
> I have put "Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace = 1;" in my initialization file,
> and I have the following in my color setup file:
>
>   set_color("trailing_whitespace", "white", "blue");
>
> However, I don't see the trailing white space in any case.
>
> But even if I could see this white space, it seems to disappear at
> random times after I save the file.
>
> So, there are two separate but related issues here:
>
> 1.  White space at the end of lines sometimes goes away when I
>     save the file.
>
> 2.  Highlight_Trailing_Whitespace doesn't seem to work.
>
> Is any of this familiar to anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>  Lloyd Zusman