Flashing (PGUP/Top of File)

When I'm at the top or bottom of a file and try to go further (up or
down), I get a very irritating screen flash, like a total repaint.
What's causing this and is there any way to avoid this? I know, don't
try to exceed the file boundaries, but when hitting PGUP a few times,
or down it's very easy to do.

Jed does this to me both on my Linux and Windows box.

Thanks,

Jeremy