Re: Calling Makefile from different directory

I always use dired mode (which I've got mapped to ^X-d) for cases like
this, or just edit the makefile.  All you really need is to go to a
buffer that's "in" the right directory.  The dired trick is especially
useful when you're editing files scattered around a directory tree or
the make/ant/... file is in a subdirectory of the root for some reason.
Looking at your question again, since you're starting jed from the
"right place", you can also use the *scratch* buffer.

BTW - Once you've done the first compile from the "right place" the
compile buffer is "there" and you can just cycle back to it to
recompile.