Calling Makefile from different directory

Hello everybody,

for larger projects I use Makefiles for every subdirectory, but
compiling should still be done from the the Makefile in the main
directory.  The problem is: when I edit a sourcefile in one of the
subdirectories and want to compile then, the Makefile in the main
directory is not found, although I started JED from there.  Instead
JED searches for a Makefile in the current directory of the file in
the buffer, which is the subdirectory where the sourcefile is in.

Does someone know a way to tell JED to start compiling from the
directory where I started JED?  Calling make with

    make -f ../Makefile

is no solution, because JED is still in the subdirectory and the paths
in the Makefile are wrong then.

Giving the Makefiles in the subdirs different names is no solution.
Then the Makefile in the current directory is not called, it is true,
but the Makefile in the startup-directory is still not found.

The only solution I found yet, is to change buffer to the Makefile in
the main directory and call make then.  But this is very uncomfortable.

Thanks,
Martin