Subprocesses and FreeBSD (was: Re: Jed becomes freeze when I trying to exec 'compile' func)

Templar <sword@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>(Jed 0.99.16 (non xjed) on FreeBSD 4.9)
>Thus begins after typing a command like 'make' for compiling anything
>with gcc (var Compile_Default_Compiler is set to "gcc"). So if
[...]

Templar and I discussed this in an earlier email exchange.  I think
that he posted the problem here too see if there are any other FreeBSD
users on this list who might be able to help fix jed's pty subprocess
support on FreeBSD.  I have no access to a FreeBSD system, or I would
look deeper into the issue to see how to resolve the problem (short of
disabling support for ptys).

Here is some background that might help:

It is my understanding that FreeBSD has incomplete support for the
fcntl function when passed certain flags along with the F_SETFL "cmd".
Under some circumstances, fcntl under FreeBSD will return -1 setting
errno to EAGAIN.  The infinite loop occurs because jed repeatedly
calls fcntl with the same result.  Breaking out of the loop after so
many failed attempts would prevent the "lockup", but it also prevents
subprocesses from working.