Re: Switching buffers quickly

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 02:09:12PM -0800, Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> I had been searching for a quicker way to switch between buffers.
> Ctrl-X b Tab Down arrow etc. seemed slow and awkward.

> Then I found the ide_next_buffer() function in ide.sl.

There is a next_buffer function (actually taken from ide.sl) in cuamisc.sl
at jedmodes.sf.net/mode/cuamisc/

The advantage of cuamisc is, that you can use these functions with non-cua
emulations as well.

Besides this "simple" next-buffer, there are two more fast-switch modes at
jedmodes:

  jedmodes.sf.net/mode/numbuf   : number the buffers and switch with Alt-<n>

  jedmodes.sf.net/mode/navigate : go back to last visited buffer
  				  (history feature known from web-browsers)

> So, now I can rapidly cycle back and forth through the buffer ring

This sounds like an interesting extension for my next_buffer.

With an optional argument, it would become backwards compatible

-     define next_buffer (previous)
+     define next_buffer ()  % (previous=1)
>     {
+         variable previous = 1;
+  	  if (_NARGS)
+   	    previous = ();
>         variable n, buf;
>         n = buffer_list (); % get the buffers on the stack

Could I take your improved version to cuamisc.sl?

G.Milde at web.de