require or evalfile or autoload?

Could someone explain the difference between using require(),
evalfile(), or autoload() to load a .sl file for a mode.  I ask
because I was using require, but then I discovered that it wipes
out the key bindings from my .jedrc.  When I switched to using
autoload(), it leaves my key bindings from .jedrc intact.

I could not find anything on this in the documentation.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman