Re: (toggle_crmod)

Jerry A! <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>: No luck here.  There was indeed a "C" in the status bar.  I ran the
>: 'toggle_crmode' function and the C went away.  However, I still saw
>: similar results.  Here's the size output:
>:
>:     install.bin         40294195
>:     install.bin (w/C)   40499456
>:     install.bin (w/o C) 40499456
>:
>: Any other ideas?
>
>Sorry to respond to myself.  I made a boo-boo.  The size of the file
>after running the 'toggle_crmode' function should be 40293390 not
>40499456.  :(

So you are saying that the numbers should be:

     install.bin         40294195
     install.bin (w/C)   40293390
     install.bin (w/o C) 40499456

I still claim that your file has some lines that end with CR/NL and
some that end in just NL.  When jed originally saved it (w/o C), it
saved it with all lines with CR/NL endings.  This added extra bytes to
the file.  Then, when you ran the toggle_crmode function, jed
converted the file to a standard unix format with NL endings.  This
resulted in a smaller file size.  If you do not want jed to change the
line endings, then you should load the file as a binary file via the
"find_binary_file" function.  The default mode for such a file is
overwrite mode.  You will want to run the "toggle_overwrite" function
for that.

However, I remain convinced that you have a file that has a mixture of
Unix and DOS/Windows line endings.  You may want to run something like
dos2unix to convert the file to a unix format.  After doing so, you
should find the result is the same as the (w/C) form above.