extended control keys

I am writing to echo Mr. Rogers' request for help and information about
using more keys.  I use jed in either xterm or gnome-terminal on a SuSE
linux system, and I am also out of keys.  For some reason control-/ sends
control-_ in xterm, so I can map it, but it simply sends the slash from
gnome-terminal.  I get nothing except the regular character from control-=,
control-,, or control-., all of which map easily with xemacs.

(Regular jed in gnome-terminal gives nice anti-aliased fonts, while xjed
does not anti-alias without recompilation apparently, but I suppose the same
mechanisms would work for either.)

Thanks, Henry Harpending