Re: Enhancement to yankpop

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:50:45AM +0200, Paul Boekholt wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:15:16 -0700, Dave Kuhlman <dkuhlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > I found it awkward sometimes that I could only cycle through the
> > ring of pastebuffers in one direction.
>
> Actually you can move backward by simply undoing.

This is not always possible:
  yp_kill/copy 3 items (i1 i2 i3)
  move to another point
  yank       (i3)
  yank_pop   (replaced with i2)
  move to another point
  yank       (i2)
  undo       ()  % nothing!

cycle round (becomes tedious with 15 items in killbuffer-ring)
  yank       (i2)
  yank_pop   (i1)
  yank_pop   (i3)

but
  yank       (i2)
  yank_repop (i3)

> The fact that yankpopping clutters the undo stack
> is IMHO a bug.  Maybe it would be better if yankpop would work more
> like dabbrev (the standard one, not Günter's), getkeying until you
> press something other than M-y, if you press C-g the yank is undone.

That is an idea, however remember that some people have different
keybindings...

> The kill-ring must be an old feature, it's not a slang array but a C
> thing.  I wrote an iyank() for incremental yanking.  Unfortunately it
> wipes out the undo information for the buffer, and I don't know why,
> but I'll upload it some day.

It should be easy to implement a killbuffer-ring with circle.sl from
jedmodes.sf.net.

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de