Re: Brief keybindings (newbie)

Günter Milde wrote:
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 02:15:51PM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:

Steve Corwin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am I doing something wrong here, or is it true that jed only supports Brief keybindings under MS-DOS?

Brief makes extensive use of the ALT key, which is very poorly
supported (if at all) by most terminals.  It is possible that brief.sl
can be made to work with Xjed, but unlikely for a generic terminal.

I think, that by replacing the hard-coded strings in brief.sl with the
appropriate Key_* variables from keydefs.sl, much can be won and it should
run smoothly with xjed on a IPMPC (say with Linux).

E.g.

- setkey ("brief_home", "\xE0G");	       %  Home
- setkey ("brief_home", "Ow");	       %  Home
- setkey ("brief_end", "\xE0O");	       %  End
- setkey ("brief_end", "Oq");	       %  End
- setkey ("brief_delete","\xE0S");       %  Delete
- setkey ("brief_delete","\xOn");        %  Delete

+ requires("keydefs");
+ setkey ("brief_home", Key_Home);
+ setkey ("brief_end", Key_End);
+ setkey ("brief_delete", Key_Delete);

Thanks for the suggestions, Günter.  Let's see...
- I don't have keydefs.sl, but I have /usr/share/jed/lib/keydefs.slc (I installed the jed debian package).

- "requires ("keydefs")" caused "S-Lang Error: Undefined Name: requires is undefined" so I changed to "require ("keydefs");", which got rid of the error.

- with those changes Home and End keys work correctly in xjed but not in jed.

- F5 doesn't work in either.  I added
setkey ("brief_search_cmd", "Key_F5"); %  F5
which didn't cause any error messages but didn't work either. Whoops, just noticed extra quotation marks.
setkey ("brief_search_cmd", Key_F5); %  F5
works in both jed and xjed.

- This technique seems promising, so I just grabbed the regular jed distribution and had a look in keydefs.sl. I don't see anything that would distinguish the plus sign on the numeric keypad from the plus sign on the equals key (U.S. keyboard layout). Does anybody know if jed can map those two keys differently?

Steve