Brief keybindings (newbie)

Hi,
I've been experimenting with jed while looking for an editor that runs on Linux and supports the Brief keybindings. Based on the web pages I found I tried making a .jedrc file. Here are its contents:
steve@luke:~$ cat .jedrc
if (BATCH == 0)
{
 %() = evalfile ("brief");       %% Brief Keybindings (MSDOS only!!)
 () = evalfile ("/usr/share/jed/lib/brief.sl");
}

I know that jed sees it because I get an error message when jed starts that says "S-Lang Error: Undefined Name: ALT_CHAR is undefined".

Am I doing something wrong here, or is it true that jed only supports Brief keybindings under MS-DOS?

Thanks,
Steve