Re: documentation at Debian

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:53:26AM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> begin  Günter Milde <milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > To cure this problem you need to
> >    * gunzip jedfuns.txt and libfuns.txt in /usr/share/doc/jed-common/txt/
> >      as well as /usr/share/doc/slang1/slangfun.txt
> >    * adjust Jed_Doc_Files e.g. by inserting
> >       variable Jed_Doc_Dir = "/usr/share/doc/jed-common/txt/";
>
> In my version. Jed_Doc_dir isn't respected. popups.sl searches in
> »JED_ROOT + "doc/txt/"«

I am afraid I was dragged away by my own extensions and Jed_Doc_Dir is not
defined in a standard-jed. My suggestion would then be a symlink from
 /usr/share/doc/jed-common/ to JED_ROOT/doc
(which is what I have in my installation)

> Why Jed doesn't support compressed files?

There is support in gzip.sl which works transparently. However, it doesnot
work with get_doc_string_from_file() (i.e. the online help for variables and
functions). (which is also not very sensible, as IMHO the space-gain
provided by gzipping the help files is not worth the additional time of
unzipping with every online-help request.)

Another point are the browsable files under Help>Browse_Docs. Here, a change
in site.sl that also includes files with exension txt.gz would be an option.

BTW: I'll file the bug report to debian bugs and so hopefully soon a fixed
jed-99.16-2 package will be available.

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de