Re: Re: about the "Recent Files" feature

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:51:23PM +0200, Guido Gonzato wrote:
> >  *  add path info to the popup menu (idea by Marko Mahnic)
> no application I'm aware of does this, and I find it obtrusive.
Sometimes you have files with the same name in different directories, if you
see just the basename that's not helpful. I tweaked GM's recent to show path
info when a filename appears twice, I'll send the patch next week.

> > Drawback: recent depends on the auxiliary modes circle.sl and sl_utils.sl
> > (also at JMR).
Yes it's slow to start up, but circle could also be used for the minibuffer
history.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:35:20AM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:
>   The problem with this is that information will be lost when separate
> instances of jed are used.
That doesn't bother me. But I never work in two JED's at once, and GM's
recent has dir-local recentfiles.

>   I think that this support belongs in a separate file, e.g.,
>   session.sl.
Emacs has one recent mode, one mode for remembering the cursor position and
one "desktop" mode for opening the last-opened files. With three modes, JED
would get slow.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:15:24PM +0200, Klaus Schmid wrote:
> - The files-array is identically with the files-array used to
> recall file names at the file-prompt (find_file, write_file, ...).
In standard JED, there is just one minibuffer history (and your
slang-history). It would be much better if different minibuffer inputs would
have their own histories.

> Actually I wrote no menu-entry, but use the recent-feature
> only with recall (arrow up) at the file-prompt. With some tweaking my
> files-recall-buffer and my Slang-recall-buffer are not mixed up anymore.
The popup-menu does slow down. A recent that just replaces the mini-history
could be unified with the history-save functions, and use my new rimini-
reverse search function (at JMR > misc) to quickly find the file you want to
open.

> Before I was not aware of the multiple-instances issue mentioned by John.
> Idea: just before saving the files-array load the current one from file,
> merge, remove duplicates, then save to file.
Or append the file on exit, on start sort it out. But as I said, it doesn't
bother me.