Re: request for define_syntax ()

Guido Gonzato <ggonza@xxxxxx> wrote:
>I often find myself wondering whether the define_syntax () function could
>take four parameters. It would be useful to write something like
>
>  define_syntax ("``", "''", '"', mode); % e.g. for LaTeX strings

I will look into it but I make no promises.

>Since I am unable to write regular expression rules that span multiple
>lines (Heavens knows why), this syntax would make life easier.

Jed uses a linked-list to represent the lines in a buffer.  The slang
regular expression code (as well as other regular expression
libraries) take a single string and apply patterns to it.  For this
reason, it is not possible to use a regular expression across multiple
lines.