wish for _jed_find_file_before_hook

Dear John,

When
  * I try to open a file,
  * the current buffer has a filename associated, and
  * the filename given has a trailing "/" (on Unix),
    i.e. jed can tell it is a directory name,
jed opens a new file "given_directory/current_filename".

This is ok, as there is normally opening a directory with find_file will
result in an error.

However, if I use the "_jed_find_file_before_hooks" to open a directory with
dired (or filelist)

% public define filelist_find_file_hook(filename)
% {
%    if (file_status(filename) == 2)
%      {
%         filelist_list_dir(filename);
%         return 1; % abort hook chain, do not use the function actually called
%      }
%    return 0;  % try other hooks or use opening function
% }
%
%   append_to_hook("_jed_find_file_before_hooks",
%                  &filelist_find_file_hook);

I get a problem: The filename argument passed to the find_file_hook is
already the concatenation "given_directory/current_filename", which prevents
my hook from listing the directory!

Is there a way to have this behaviour altered?

sincerely

Günter

(I hope it is OK to write this as an open letter, I'd like give the other
jed-users a chance to comment.)

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de