Re: Re: some jedmodes

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 06:26:32AM -0800, Dave Laird wrote:

> > What do you mean with live ispell? An interface to ispell/aspell that can
> > check the whole buffer/region? This is one of the things I have on top of
> > my whishlist too!!
>
> Yes, indeed that would be the top of my wish list.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I had a dumb MTA problem.

I fulfilled your wishes!  Looking through the ispell discussions on
ruptured-duck I noticed that the problem then was that JED could not suspend
itself and hand the terminal to a subshell.

Then I found some code in Ulli "Framstag" Horlacher's mail-mode for pgp-ing
the buffer that did just that... I don't know if JED has changed or if Ulli
is just smarter than we are but here it is, adapted to run ispell.

I should stress that I don't know how this works (I'm too lazy to read the
stty man page) and I only tried it on the Linux console....

% This is an EXPERIMENTAL function for suspending JED and running
% ispell on a region, if defined, or the buffer.
_traceback=1;
_debug_info=1;

define ispell_region() {

   variable cmd, tmp = "/tmp/jedispell";

   tmp = make_tmp_file(tmp);
   !if (markp)
     mark_buffer();
   () = dupmark;
   () = write_region_to_file(tmp);
   cmd = strcat("stty opost icrnl; clear; ispell ", tmp,
		"; echo press ENTER; read dummy;", % prompt
		"stty -opost -icrnl");
   () = system(cmd);
   del_region();
   () = insert_file(tmp);