Re: some jedmodes

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:43:16 +0100 wrote Paul <p.boekholt@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello,
>
> I have just uploaded some modes to http://jedmodes.sf.net
> Thanks Francesc!
>
> autotext.sl
> autotext a la MS Word.

Could you explain it for non Word users? Is it something similar to the
abbrev_mode?

> hyperman.sl
> improved man.sl with hypertext functionality.

Very nice indeed: One of the modes on my wishlist I don't need to make
myself now.

I had some problems, however:

emacs_recenter() is not defined in my setting (cua emulation), replacing it
with recenter(0) helps. However, if only the updating is wanted (without
scrolling to get the point centered), you might consider update (Integer f);
or update_sans_update_hook

Strange error: try unix_man man, tab to groff(7) and press enter: the
*manual-entry* buffer closes (after asking for to be saved)

Maybe this is becouse I don't have groff(7)??
suggestion: leave the old buffers content or set_buffer_modified_flag(0)
            and give out a message or an error

Also, I'd like to have Guidos patch for an optional argument included, so it
works with "help_for_word" in c_mode.

> tar.sl
> front end to GNU tar.

Wishes:

* possibility to have tar_mode by default for all files that end in
 .tar (i.e. it must be possible, to turn on tar mode after the file is loaded
 to use jed-s automode feature.
 advantage: one keybinding for opening all sort of files, also tar archives

* cooperation with "gzip mode" to work with tar.gz or tgz files

* work like midnight commander or filelist_mode (see JMR) with highlight bar
  and tagging/detagging via + and - keys (plus many more cool features you
  get for free when basing tar_mode on filelist_mode.)

> cdecl.sl
> S-Lang translation of K&R's dcl program.

  If dcl is not a "if you don't know what it is, you don't need it" program,
  then I would like to have some hint what it does.

> cal.sl
> Calendar + diary. You need the calendar program for viewing
> appointments.

It seems not to like my Jed_Home_Directory == "/home/milde/.jed"
setting. At least also after doing an entry and saving the calendar file, i
get "no appointments" for the day in question.

> ispell
> asynchronous ispell (one word at a time for now), flyspell minor mode
> and
> word completion from dictionary.

I will test that later (and compare to autoispell by Guido/John).
Still the wishlist top is ispell_region()

Despite the mentionded drawbacks (that I hope to overcome with a little
help) I really like the work: Thanks Paul!

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de