Re: Re: __FILE__ and path_rel

Guenter Milde wrote on Thursday, January 23, 2003 9:49 AM

<klaus.schmid@xxxxxx>:

> in the help text for expand_filename it reads
> i.e. it works the desired way only under Unix

Apart the examples I suppose expand_filename works as expected in
other systems: any valid file specification (e.g. "~/a" or "[-]a")
will be expanded to a normal one, according the rules of the current
system of course.

> > The intention for path_rel is to handle a system-independant relative
file
> > specification (e.g. "a/b/c") of any arbitrary length in a painless way.
>
> I.e. to translate a "Unix-convention" filename to the underlying
> systems one?

No. The superseded intention is to take advantage of organizing files
within a directory tree and to use this structure for addressing files
without assuming too much about this structure --> use relative file
specifications. Do it system-independent and painless --> path_rel.

Are you in doubt about the applications of path_rel?
Should I describe more examples in more detail?

Klaus