Re: Jed Development

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:56:05 -0800 wrote Josh Guilfoyle <jasta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>  I recently discovered the
> "new" mailing list and would like to see if anyone here is authorized to
> officially merge patches into the tree, and to discuss the specifics of the
> changes that I have added.

Welcome to the club :-)

AFAIK, John E Davis is the one and only authorized jed developer, but
discussion is lively here (at least sometimes).

Aside from many many tiny changes I have added the
> following features (held in my local CVS repositories):

If they are slang extensions (new "modes" and changes/improvements to
existing *.sl files) a good place for them would be the Jed Modes Repository

                         http://jedmodes.sf.net/

(This is the homepage of the JMR, which is the right place to start with,
while the sourceforge project page makes the impression as if the project
where dead...) While a bit difficult in handling when uploading files (due
to the maintainers lack of time), it is a nice idea to have all the variaous
extensions and improvements of different people at one place and it is quite
convenient for the user.

> My WISHLIST (I'm willing to work on these directly, but I would need a bit
> more guidance from the core developer(s)):

Specific questions here will normally find a fast answer.

>   * DFA syntax that can persist across lines.  Also, regular expressions
>     should include the support for zero-width assertions so that expressions
>     can be required without actually highlighting them.

      This would be really nice!

>   * Ability to change settings which would affect rendering without having to
>     reload the file manually.  Such as TAB_DEFAULT.  Perhaps some kind of real
>     redraw function?  Maybe this is already there and I've just missed it.

Most changes come out without manual redraw: in the mentioned instance be
aware that (excerpt from Help>Describe_Variable TAB_DEFAULT):

 DESCRIPTION
   The value of `TAB_DEFAULT' is the default tab setting given to
   all newly created buffers.  A value of zero means that tab characters
   are not expanded and that tabs are never used to produce whitespace.

 NOTES
   A related variable `TAB' may be used to change the current
   buffer's tab setting.

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de