Jed Development

Over the past several months I have written a plethora of customized patches
for jed that went unanswered when directly contacting the jed developer
(perhaps I was using the wrong e-mail address).  I recently discovered the
"new" mailing list and would like to see if anyone here is authorized to
officially merge patches into the tree, and to discuss the specifics of the
changes that I have added.  Aside from many many tiny changes I have added the
following features (held in my local CVS repositories):

  * c_mode now treats #if 0 ... #endif as a comment (this is very broken, and
    I believe I hardcoded this somewhere in the C source...some advice on how
    to cleanly do this would be greatly appreciate).

  * GDB support very similar to Emacs, although it needs a lot of work before
    it can be formally introduced, however I do use it on a nearly daily basis
    so it is at least functional.

  * Massive improvements to the ctags support that currently exists
    (specifically related to exuberent-ctags).  Eventually I'd like to
    introduce some better configuration options for this, including the
    ability to specify multiple tags paths on a per-project or global basis.

  * Added my custom color scheme to the list of defaults, which is notably
    much more visually pleasing than the previous ones :)

  * Merged in a third party mutt mode and made my own local improvements.

  * Minor Emacs-keybind compatibility improvements, as well as some new custom
    binds which ease development, particularly in c_mode.  Some of which are:

     * ^X5   Insert a comment separator.  /*****...*/ in C mode, for example.
             A more appropriate key bind would be nice :)
     * ^Ch   If editing file.c, open file.h and vice versa.
     * ^Ci   Insert an include guard for the currently open header file.
     * ^C;   Make or unmake #if 0 ... #endif blocks.

My WISHLIST (I'm willing to work on these directly, but I would need a bit
more guidance from the core developer(s)):

  * Optional libpcre regular expression backend.

  * DFA syntax that can persist across lines.  Also, regular expressions
    should include the support for zero-width assertions so that expressions
    can be required without actually highlighting them.

    NOTE: I tried this at one point a while ago, but I didn't know anywhere
    near enough about jed's internals to pull it off...sigh.  I feel that with
    a little help from the core developers I have more than enough actual C
    knowledge to do both of these.

  * Ability to change settings which would affect rendering without having to
    reload the file manually.  Such as TAB_DEFAULT.  Perhaps some kind of real
    redraw function?  Maybe this is already there and I've just missed it.

Hope to get a reply soon!  Thanks!