textmode, mode-guidelines

Klaus Schmid" <klaus.schmid@xxxxxx> wrote

> Having edited a simple text file before, it was not possible to have a
> correct latex_mode:
>
> textmode.sl binds the tab-key to text_indent_relative in global keymap and
> latex_mode assumes binding to indent_line.

This is (IMHO) indeed a bug in text mode:

text_mode() changes a keybinding without creating/using a local keymap!!!
Try to overload with this version:

public define text_mode()
{
   no_mode ();
   set_mode("Text", 1);

   set_buffer_hook ("indent_hook", "text_indent_relative");
   set_buffer_hook ("newline_indent_hook", "text_newline_indent");
   run_mode_hooks ("text_mode_hook");
}

and in the simplest case define

define text_newline_indent ()
{
   bol_skip_white ();
   variable ws = what_column - 1;        % get number of leading spaces
   newline;
   whitespace(ws);
}

or use a more elaborated version of newline-indenting function for structured
text. (available on request)

> How about editing some mode guidlines?

A really good idea. I think something like a well commented mode_template.sl
would be a really nice thing to have. This should also include an example
for the use of mode-specific menues (To take up the idea from Guido G.

  > since Jed got drop-down menus, it's become much easier to use even for
  > beginners. I tried to get full advantage of menus in all the modes I wrote.

Maybe we could place such a thing in the JMR or ask for inclusion in the
standard-documentation.

Sincerely

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de