Re: [0.99-15] Some problems and questions

Paul <p.boekholt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use Debian 3.0 too and see the same behavior when scrolling through a
> large file. I believe it's to do with the variable TERM_CANNOT_SCROLL.

Thanks for this hint.

> In linux.sl, this is set to -1 but linux.sl is not loaded by default so it's
> 0. On my previous PC, a 486-66, I noticed scrolling in the console takes a
> lot of CPU time if I leave it to 0. Setting it to -1 doesn't seem to stop
> the recentering, but setting it to 1 will cause it to jump much more. What do
> -1 and 1 mean?

When set to 1 the page itself seems to be scrolled by half a page when
the cursor reaches the end of the screen. The cursor itself still
moves line by line. This mode is not bad, at least it's better than 0
IMHO, because one knows when the jumping occurs and where the content
of the screen is going to jump to. Setting it to -1 also improves the
scrolling a bit, but not much. Especially when the computer is busy -1
and 0 are nearly the same. It would be best IMHO, if there was a mode
available, in which no recentering at all would be done.

Martin