RE: no accented characters in Windows

[SNIP]
> 	- if I run wjed, I can insert and view all accented
> characters. But I don't want to use wjed because it is too
> different from its Linux counterpart. Besides, I cannot
> access the menu bar items with Alt or Esc. They can only be
> opened with the mouse. One option down.

You may choose to use the text mode menus even with wjed. Open the file
os.sl in the jed library directory, you'll find near the top:

#ifdef WINGUI
. 1 =Simulate_Graphic_Chars
. 4 2 mouse_map_buttons        %  map Right to Middle
. 2 4 mouse_map_buttons        %  map Middle to Right
%. "menus" evalfile pop         %  Uncomment to enable text menus
. "wmenu.sl" evalfile pop     %  Uncomment to enable GUI menus
#else

Simply uncomment (delete the '%' character at start) the line
%. "menus" evalfile pop         %  Uncomment to enable text menus
and comment out the line
. "wmenu.sl" evalfile pop     %  Uncomment to enable GUI menus

Save the modified file, restart wjed, and enjoy the text mode menus.

> 	- if I run jed386.exe, I can insert all accented
> characters except the tilde. E.g.: ã and õ. You should
> probably be warned that I use a Brazilian ABNT2 keyboard. I
> can insert all accented characters except the tilde, but I
> cannot view any accented characters whatsoever in existing
> documents. All accented characters become weird symbols.
> 	- if I run jed.exe, I can neither view or insert
> accented characters whatsoever.
>
> 	Is there something I can do to use accented characters
> in jed.exe or jed386.exe?

This seems like a problem with character encodings. Jed has no control on
the real character rapresentation when writing to the console. Note that
every console application should have this problem: try creating a text file
with accented chars using notepad, then open it with wjed (you should see
the right characters), with jed console, with edit, or simply doing 'type
text.txt'.
Maybe using mode con cp select=850 or something like that may help.

> 	Thank you.

Hope this help.

						Dino.
In practice, there is.