Re: strange behaviour with SuSE8.0

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:59:35PM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:
> The problem is that the various linux distributions have complicated
> the whole jed initialization process and have done it incorrectly.  I
> believe the new debian versions of jed work properly but I need to
> double check that.  Perhaps Charl Botha, who is the current debian jed
> maintainer can comment more on this.

I believe we have done it quite neatly. :)  My intention was to allow JED
purists to have a JED on debian which acts exactly like a stock self-built
installation and also to allow the Debian purists to have a JED which
follows all Debian configuration specifications and other Debian regulations.

In the end, it comes down to having a jed.conf which reads all .sl files in
/etc/jed-init.d.  This is a directory where other packages (and system
administrators) that would like to add functionality to JED can drop .sl
modules in.  This keeps everything nice and separate, and you know exactly
who's done what.  I've also put all Debian specific configuration changes as
a small .sl file in this directory, so the all the other config files that
ship with JED have been left more or less untouched.  The invocation of
/etc/jed.conf is also a standard feature.

I've attached the little readme that explains the "Debian" startup scheme FYI.

Best regards,
Charl

JED startup strategy
--------------------

JED has now a new startup setup that will make easier for packages providing
add-on support to get their code automatically loaded in a site-wide manner.
We have the following startup files/directories:

    /etc/jed.conf
    /etc/jed-init.d/

Each add-on package has the right to place files into the directory
/etc/jed-init.d/, with names like ??whatever.sl, where "??" is a two-digit
number.  jed.conf is a s-lang script which will be executed by jed at
startup and will then evaluate all scripts in /etc/jed-init.d/.

The order in which the files in /etc/jed-init.d/ will be parsed is
alphabetical following their filenames, i.e. files with name starting with
"00" will be loaded first and with "99" last.

The order of parsing of all JED config files is thus as follows:
   * /usr/share/jed/lib/site.sl
    - this calls /usr/share/jed/lib/defaults.sl if it exists
    - if defaults.sl does not exist, /etc/jed.conf is called
      - which in turn calls all .sl scripts in /etc/jed-init.d/
   * If -n is not specified on the command line (as first arg):
    - $HOME/.jedrc (if it exists)
    - /usr/share/jed/lib/jed.rc (only if $HOME/.jedrc doesn't exist)
   command_line_options

-- Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> Thu Oct 21 18:28:39 CEST 1999
-- Updated by Charl P. Botha <cpbotha@xxxxxxxxxx> Sun Jun 3 02:14:58 CEST 2001
-- and again by cpbotha with Rafael's new scheme Tue Nov 13 22:00:49 CET 2001