Re: character set problem?

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 22:30:30 +0200 wrote Michael Johnson <pomj@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I have a weird problem.
>
> I use jed as my editor in slrn & mutt. I've used it for a while and it works
> great... :)
>
> However I want to use wjed instead because I get some benefits like
> rezisable windows, more colours etc etc.
>
> Now here's the problem. When I'm going to write a new mail mutt ask's to
> whom I'm going to send the mail and asks for the subject.
>
> If I write swedish characters in the subject they will turn up weird when
> the article opens up in wjed. But any swedish characters I write in the body
> will look ok.
>
> Then if I send the mail and recieve it in mutt it will be the opposite!
> The characters in the subject line looks ok and any characters in the body
> is screwed up...

I think your subject is right, it is a character set problem. I don't know
about Swedish computers, but here in Germany, DOS (and the Windows DOS box)
uses IBM-codepage 437 for the special characters and Windows uses an "ANSI
encoding" that is in most parts identical to the iso-latin1 used by UNIX.

What happens, if you write something in jed, save and open in wjed?

The very nice and complete gnu program "recode" (available also for DOS)
does conversions for over 100 different character sets and has a detailed
documentation about character set issues.

I have written a very basic conversion skript for home-use. Unfortunately,
it does convert only the umlauts and sz. See attachment. (Det verkar tyvär inte
for alla svenska bokstav men jag tror att det går lätt att komplettera.)

If this solves your problem, you could try a hook that does the conversion
for you automatically (see Help>Browse Docs>Hooks).

Guenter

--
G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx