clear a keyword from the syntax table

Dear Jedies,

in my upcomming dict mode, I want to highlight the word of the current
lookup, so I use

   () = define_keywords_n (mode, word, strlen(word), 1);

However, for in the next lookup, I want to clear this again. Is there an
eays|recommended way?

 * I do not really like storing the lenght of the last catchword in a
   static variable)

 * create_syntax_table() does not work, despite the

    DESCRIPTION
     This the purpose of this function is to create a new syntax table
     with the name specified by `name'.  If the table already exists,
     this clears the table of its current syntax entries.

   (it seems to clear some of the define_syntax definitions, but not
   keywords).

Thanks

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de