Re: [slang-users] system wchar functions support?

Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is any interest in using libc functions for
> handling wide characters? The main benefit would be support of other
> multibyte encodings than UTF-8. It could be controlled by a configure
> option.

The problem with adding such support to the 2.x series is that it
would break binary compatibility.  So such a feature would have to
wait until version 3, which I have not thought about yet.   As
such, version 3 is at least a year or two down the road.  Perhaps by
then UTF-8 will be widespread enough that supporting other multibyte
encodings will be unnecessary.

>From my point of view, I see more and more people migrating towards
UTF-8.  Do you have a different sense of where UTF-8 will be in a few
years?