[slang-users] String HASH function

I have decided my SLAGS's MVISAM will have the B+tree key's stored
as 64 BIT hash function keys. The data will still be regular data
it's just the B+TREE node key info will be some sort of a hashed
value.

Now, I need something that will produce fairly linear results.
i.e.:

Apples
Apples and oranges
Apple Suauce
Another Long Line of Description ...

.... and so on and so ..

will produce results that can be used as so when you start
using a secondary key, the results will be in alphabetical order.

Any suggestions and or pointers on this one?

Thanks ...

--
Ben Duncan   - Business Network Solutions, Inc. 336 Elton Road  Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"