Re: [slang-users] SLAG update and information.

Paul Boekholt wrote:
I suppose you can simply telnet into your UNIX server, but if you're going to
develop client/server apps, why don't you use a database server such as mysql?

The Idea is to allow "Professional" series of SLAG applications to have
SQL database backends. Immediate needs are , though , to have a Key/pair as
part of the system for the RAD/IDE and eventual runtime. This will
work as the "entry level database" as well. 30 years writing accounting
system has taught me that sooner or later the lesson of:

End User/Client: "My nephews step-son , who is an ACCESS WIZ and genius
on the Playstation came in to tweak YOUR database and now your %$$@$
programs do not work. I WANT you to fix them FREE of charge!!!".

So, at least the "entry" level applications can be using a trivial database
of some kind. Overlay this with some sort of "Multi Value" & string based
routines and you have a pretty flexible database engine.

I don't see this, unless the payments and the AR are in the same file (and
even then it should be possible to use the same handle), or you open the AR
file for each record in the payments file and then forget to close it, which
would crash sooner or later anyway.

Yes, in this case AR-OPEN is the file that contains OPEN item and it's type.
Type could be a Payment on account, a charge on account, a credit memo, and
a debit memo. IF I post a payment to customer "SMITH", it comes in from a
transactional system on Payment Entry and gets posted to AR-OPEN. Same
as "credit/debit" memo on account. In a Order Entry system, orders
get posted to the Customers AR-OPEN as a charge. SO everything makes a
stop in the AR-OPEN file. In the case of say overpayemnt on account, you
have to "APPLY" (if that is what the customer says to do with it) the "open"
credit. A Prime example of this is say I send ACME a check for $10,000USD to
pay on my account. And ASSUME, I did not put a specific invoice number on
the check. It would get posted to my account as an "OPEN" payment.
Now the "APPLY" screen would call up the AR-OPEN "PAYMENT" type record
and display it along with the "remaining" balance. The second part of the screen
would be a scroll function allowing me to select each "INVOICE" type AR-OPEN
record I wish to apply monies to. So in this case the AR-OPEN file is in the program
twice, once as the "PRIMARY" file and another open as the "APPLY" to. Once the
PAYMENT amount reached ZERO, I can no longer select any more INVOICES  and I am
done, so the Application writes out the "PAYMENT" type AR-OPEN record with a
ZERO balance.

d> With gdbm this is not a problem, when you open the file as a writer it is
always locked.  With tdb, there are some locking functions but they aren't
wrapped.  I can wrap them, if you still think you need tdb.

What do you know about "sleepycat" (Berkley)? http://www.sleepycat.com
Seems to have a lot of features including the ability for secondary key
access.

As Always, thanks ...

--
Ben Duncan   - VersAccounting Software LLC 336 Elton Road  Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"