Re: [slang-users] Slang modules and threads?

There is a TDBM that is done by the SAMBA group - multiple readers AND writers.

Anyway, Yes I know that relational databases are designed to do that. It is that I
am breaking things down to their simpliest form. Keeping it to simple commands/functions
such as ye old COBOL uses:

Read, Read Next, Read Previous ,Write, Start key, Delete, and the like.
Having fields pushed and poped by:
 slang_attr = GET_ATTR(FD, FIELD_no, MV_NO) ;
 PUSH_ATTR(FD, FIELD_NO, MV_NO, slang_attr) ;
(where FD and Field_no can be Numbers of NAMES, where by the names are converted
to numbers by the function from that data dictionary).

This elminates the "small" users from having their "step-sons first cousin who is
a SQL/DBM expert is coming in to enhance and optimize that SQL database we have. Yeah
he is an expert, done that PLENTY of time on his PS2 and ACCESS database"
(been there , done that, did not like it!).

Sooo.... Now we have the best of both worlds. The runtime and RAD/IDE uses a DBM,
but the Functions could care less about the database backend. They are just pushing and
pop'ing data stacks. But at the simpliest level, the applications can use the DBM
method, whilst allowing the bigger sophisticated users to use a SQL database methods.

Hmm .. which brings up another point, Why does "RELATIONAL" database mean to so many
people that they have a "relative" that is a "DATABASE" expert? ;->

Paul Boekholt wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:38:24 -0500, Ben Duncan <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Paul, do you think this could be emulated using T/GDBM ?

Do you mean tdb?  You can store multiple values in a DBM record, just
separate them by commas or whatever.  However relational databases were
designed for this, and also allow searching on any field.

Ben Duncan   - VersAccounting Software LLC 336 Elton Road  Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
       - Hanlon's Razor