Re: [slang-users] SLtt_set_color_object help

Actually, I have prototype some of the packages with Python.
In it's own right, Python is a good language. However, certain features
and functionality of Python gets in it's own way. To with: Incorporating
Appgen's file library took a few thousand lines of C code to incorporate
into Python. Just few hundred or so to do the same and create a Slang
module.

In an accounting software environment, you want to run in a fixed modal
environment, always completing A before going on to B. Python has been
heavy on the OO aspect of programming methods as well as a lot of
emphasis on "GUI" and event driven functions.

There is really no "GOOD" screen interface driver for Perl or Python, other
than the "newt", pyslang, PyCurses, which are FAR from complete and IMHO
useable without some major work.

Since I was going to do the MAJOR work anyway, I decided not to let an
extra layer get in the way. S-Lang is very powerful and fast, even using
the slsh. So, why bother writing C functions that will have to have C
functions to be incorporated into Python/Perl? Why not just do it all
in S-Lang .....

Me, I am no heavy weight C programmer, just an "APPS" person. But, I already
have Windows and Boxes popping up in my test programs right now, and I did
those with C and S-Lang. Now All I need to get done, is a "keyboard" input
control program - something that you can say "Numeric xx digits, xx decimals
with function keys x-y allowed" and set back and wait for the returned data.

After all this is done, then it is a matter of putting it all together into
and "Applications" environment.

Hope this gives some insight on where I am headed with this ...

Paul Boekholt wrote:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:26:00PM -0500, Ben Duncan wrote:

Ok, I have RTFM and have found no help other than passing remarks
on Setting attributes such as BOLD, BLINK, etc...

Both Perl and Python have Newt bindings, as well as lots of other stuff
S-Lang doesn't have. If you want to write some accounting scripts,
wouldn't it be easier to start with one of those languages?

Ben Duncan   - VersAccounting Software LLC 336 Elton Road  Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
       - Hanlon's Razor