Can it be done?

Ok, maybe having all MY email ducks (accounts) in a row, this will
get thru ...

Greetings fellow S-Lang enthusiasts!

For the past 10 days I have had my head done in the S-Lang references and
slinging S-Lang code. I must say, even though I have know about S-Lang
for a few years now, I have failed to realize its' full potential to now!

I have been deep into slsh, programming test screens almost like magic.
My hat is off to Mr. Davis !!!

Ok, now on to what I wish to do with S-Lang.

For the past 14 years I have been a reseller of a commercial accounting
package called "AppGen". (see http://www.appgen.com ). October of last
year they closed the doors and sold the I.P to a company called ApTus, who
then has pretty much mugged us.

Appgen was a "virtual" environment based on the PICK database concept. They
bundled the database, runtime and business application packages and
developmental tools all in one nice little package.
The "Applications" were nothing more than stored "Procedure" definitions,
or PDEF's as Appgen liked to call them, and the runtime took care of
open, closing of files, re-direction and selection of "Print" program's
output, and the chaining of post processes as well as creating the
"SQL" commands from interactive screens.

The Appgen development process was a "SCREEN" driven method, whereby you
painted the screen filled in the "basic" edit, size, and functions of the
"screen" prompt item or the Report item field. The process flow was pretty
much stack based - Prompt item 1 followed by item 2, print position row 1 col 1
followed by the next, and in the case of A posting, file 1 "post" steps followed
by file 2 posting in the PDEF. There is a "Before", "Default", "Key", "Verify",
"AFTER" for each of the items to allow you flesh out each step.

Now, having given so very basic information to the group,would writing such a
replacement for Appgen be practical? I know it would be time and resource
consuming, but that is a side I am willing to do.

Thanks ..

--
Ben Duncan   - VersAccounting Software LLC 336 Elton Road  Jackson MS, 39212
"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"