Re: unicode (was Re: Minor error message change)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, John E. Davis wrote:

> Pavel Roskin <proski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Now, the encoding put to the locale is a different thing.  If I set
> >LANG=ru_RU.koi8-r, it meant that my terminal has a koi8-r font.  If the
>
> So far I have been unable to find any documentation that implies this.

It looks like you found an error in my reasoning.  Indeed, the encoding is
important not only for the local types that control the output
(LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC).  It also affects string collation
(LC_COLLATE) and character ranges in regular expressions (LC_CTYPE).

This means that the locale would affect the implied encoding of the text
being processed and the encoding used in the regular expressions (which
may be embedded in the program or entered by the user).

In the case of LC_MONETARY and LC_NUMERIC, the encoding could also affect
the interpretation of the input from the user.  Some locales could use
non-ASCII characters as number separators and currency symbols.

All this may work if the user only works with texts in the same encoding,
but this assumption seems inadequate to the today's realities.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin