Re: S-Lang 2.0 Plans

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, John E. Davis wrote:

> Dwayne Grant McConnell <dgm69@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Is there an outline of the features/goals for the S-Lang 2.0 release? I
> >seem to recall reading somewhere that threading was under consideration.
> >Is that true?
>
> Yes.  It will support multiple interpreters, multiple threads, ability
> to start/stop the interpreter, save its state, etc....

Sounds great. Looking forward to it.

For the multiple threads implementation will you be rolling your own
scheduler and locking primitives or relying on a thread library provided
by the operating system? What types of primitives will be provided to
S-Lang scripts? (ex: thread_create(), mutex_create(), ...)

> The tricky thing is to do it in a backward compatible manner.  I
> believe I have figured out how to do that.

Yeah. I'm guessing you will have to have separate entry points into the
library for thread away applications.

--
Dwayne Grant McConnell          work:  dwayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PowerPC Linux Team              home:  dgm69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx