slang, newt with multibyte characters

Hello All
	This is the first time I joined this list, so bear with me if the question
has been asked before.  I've tried to find FAQs + mailing list archives but
was unsuccessful.
	Can s-lang or the derivative newt handle multibyte characters like chinese
big5?  I've been looking for text/console based development solutions which
could handle chinese input and output on a 9" monitor + in very slow
machines.  s-lang seems to fit the bill and even better newt, but when I
tried it on top of a chinese console (CCE) in linux, the nice straight lines
around the box changed to chinese characters.
	Is it the vga fonts and the chinese fonts that's causing it?  maybe I need
a customised font that can have the chinese characters and the border line
characters for the boxes and widgets as well? (remap the newt characters for
the widgets to those characters in this customised font instead?
	Any suggestion/recommendations will be much appreciated.

Terrance