getting strings

Is there a way to get the string under the cursor from the
virtual display and perform an action upon it?

Say I have the cursor sitting on the file text.fil and I want
to press the e key to edit the file. I know how to do the editing
part but how do I get the string from the display?

Would I use SLsmg_read_raw(); ?  If so, how do I read the info
from the buffer *buf?   And if not, is there another way?

Thanks

P.S.  I'm new at programming so cut me a little slack.   (: