slang-devel mailing list

Re: [slang-devel] Compilation of slcfitsio fails against libcfitsio 4.0.0

Rafael Laboissière <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear S-Lang developers,
>
> I do not know whether it is appropriate to post in this mailing list
> bug reports against the slcfitsio module. Please, tell me if there is
> a more appropriate forum.

This forum is better than the slang-users one.  It's Too bad that I
do not have a corresponding jed-devel group.

> When building the slcfitsio module against libcfitsio version 4.0.0,
> the compilation fails with the following error message:
>
>     In file included from cfitsio-module.c:10:
>     cfitsio-module.c: In function ‘check_version’:
>     cfitsio-module.c:2421:23: error: too many decimal points in number
>      2421 |    compiled_version = CFITSIO_VERSION;
>           |                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> This happens because, in previous releases of libcfitsio, the version
> number stored in the CFITSIO_VERSION macro was a float number (it is
> currently "4.0.0").

I downloaded the latest cfitsio source code to see how it mapped the
the new CFITSIO_VERSION format to the value returned by the
fits_get_version/ffver function.  To my surprise, CFITSIO_VERSION is
not used anywhere in the library, and fits_get_version/ffver returns
the hard coded floating point number 4.0.

> The patch attached to this message provides a possible solution for the
> problem, by compiling and running a program (cfitsio-version.c) at build
> time. The executable the cfitsio-version.h file containing the definition
> of the macro COMPILED_CFITSIO_VERSION, which is a float number, that is
> used in cfitsio-module.c at run time.

I will adopt your patch and update the code accordingly.
Since this issue was also reported to the isis-users mailing list, I
will also followup with them.

Thanks Rafael,
--John