Re: [jed-users] XJed looks

Knowing nothing but recognizing something I will offer up this fish. It might be a Red Herring and it might be The Big Kahuna.

The VT100 mode of every free terminal on Linux isn't even close to VT100 compatible. You have to hack and override a vast number of definitions. Minor discussion here.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.os.vms/linux$20vt100$20emulation%7Csort:date/comp.os.vms/WTSEx6j7qTc/3GsFMSAMBgAJ

Wee bit of rehash here:

http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/information-technology/xterm-and-vt-emulation/

Even more discussion here

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.os.vms/linux$20vt100$20emulation%7Csort:date/comp.os.vms/9DIFTtYLpn0/SOhgHPFXOAAJ

My guess is, with a much older distro, your changes work fine, just like my xterm script worked fine for decades. Recently there has been yet another regression of VT100 support. My script stopped working if my login.com had

$ SET TERM/INQ

which means to inquire from the terminal what its settings should be and then tell the OS.

Those backward question marks are a red flag. Seen them many times trying to use various terminals to communicate with VMS systems. I would suggest trying the VT102 stuff from the first discussion link. It may not be a final answer, but, it should make a big improvement.

I will guess this VT100 regression happened the way most of them do. Someone bitched to the 12 year old "maintaining" the package that keystroke blah or terminal string yaha didn't let them use some feature of VIM they really wanted and both of them together knowing less-than-zero about either OpenVMS or a VT100, hacked it, took out whatever automated tests that failed, and checked it in.

On 07/06/2018 12:46 AM, Chris wrote:
Hi,

I've installed XJed and Jed and applied the CBrief patch to create a
pretty good Brief clone under Linux. Whilst I'm happy with the result,
Jed works very well, XJed however has an issue with the display of
menus. I'm assuming that it is something I need to fix, but what do I
need to fix/check? As I don't see problems elsewhere, it would be great
if I could apply a XJed specific fix, rather than fiddling with a system
setting, but if I have to, I will.

System details: 32GB RAM, 64-bit laptop running Debian 10 / Buster /
Testing / next-stable. It has a hybrid video card, but right now it is
running Intel, as I ran into a couple of NVidia nasties.

Screenshots of XJed and Jed attached.

Rgds Chris

--
Roland Hughes, President