[jed-users] Any ideas on how to get my mouse to work in jed under linux with gpm in a terminal session?

I am running linux and I've tried jed with a number of terminals, and in all cases it works, but my mouse can only point and select, it doesn't move the cursor and can't click on the menu bar, forcing me to do almost everything from the keyboard.
Here is my mouse setup.  I am running GPM.  The mouse works fine in other terminal based programs like Midnight Commander, for example.
ps -ef | grep gpmroot 2027 1 0 Mar27 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t exps2
gpm -vgpm 1.20.4 29th of May 2008
Have I got something configured wrong, maybe?  Any ideas what to try?
ThanksBobC