Re: [jed-users] How to insert an asc char into text

On 12.11.17, John E. Davis wrote:
> Bob Bernstein <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I want to try using the square root character as a "check mark."
> >
> > How can this be done, and what is the ASC value of that char?

> The Unicode character is U+221A, which is decimale 8730.  To insert
> this character into a buffer, press the following keys:

>    ESC 8 7 3 0 Ctrl-Q

> Here it is assumed that you have the quoted_insert function bound to
> the Ctrl-Q key.  Alternatively, you can use the menu

>   System->S-Lang Command

> to get a S-Lang> prompt:

>    S-Lang> vinsert("%c", 8730);

> Several years ago, I created a function (latex_to_utf8) that converts
> various LaTeX constructs into unicode equivalents.  I have the
> function bound to the Ctrl-O key, which allows me to enter the five
> characters \sqrt followed by Ctrl-O to produce: √

You may also be interested in the "character table module".
http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/ch_table/

It provides a

  Table of characters, known from many editors as special characters
  feature. Allows to search for (and insert) any character of the current
  character set. Ideal for characters you use rather seldom and do not
  remember the compose-key (or digraph) sequence.
  Supports all Unicode chars present in your font.