Re: [jed-users] entab/detab

On 24.08.17, Peter D. Gray wrote:
> Hi people,

> I don't suppose anybody out there has a jed functions(s)
> to perform entab/detab, that is make a pass thru a buffer and replace spaces with tabs
> everywhere while maintaining indentation, and the reverse, similar to the expand/unexpand
> command. I want it to do all spaces to tabs and vice versa, not just
> leading whitespace.

Have a look at the untab function:

 DESCRIPTION
 This function may be used either to convert tabs to spaces or, if called
 with a prefix argument, it will perform the opposite conversion from
 spaces to tabs.  This function operates on a region.

The "bufutils" mode in jedmodes.sf.net (in Debian part of the jed-extra
package) has also a untab_buffer functions that just does

public define untab_buffer ()
{
   push_spot();
   mark_buffer();