[jed-users] "RED Project" Updates

Aside #1) When I posted in September I forgot to mention that I have a
lightweight 'Org-Mode'. I'm not ready to post it publically, but
if you want to try it, email me at
"dotdram"+char(64)+"protonmail.com" and I'll send you the files.

Aside #2) If "Dino of paneura.com" is still on this list, I'd love an
email, so I can thank you for your .18 wjed work and ask a couple
questions. Thanks.

3) Now to the point. All 4 "Revisited jED" 0.0 releases are up. Again,
this isn't a fork, just my take on several useful tools, and some
other tweaks.

Each includes a file at the top level with a name like "redinst.txt"
with some suggestions on installing.

The master changelog is in section (5) below. For good measure I've
also included a feature/changelog for my new dired below that.
The releases:

'bare' https://gitlab.com/dram/red/blob/master/red0.bare.0.tar.gz
https://gitlab.com/dram/red/blob/master/red0.bare.0.zip
Essentially the "beta" file, with an annoying dired bug fixed.

The 0.[18|19|20].0 sets start with the files in the "beta" set,
plus other files described below in (5). [Files to fix an msw
bug contained in 18/20 .zip versions only.]

> Note: these include slightly altered versions of Jed base files:
> a mix of support for the new files, minor fixes, and, admitedly,
> some "opinionated" changes.

> If you've made changes to cmode.sl, emacs.sl, help.sl,
> popups.sl, pushmode.sl or site.sl you'll want backup your "lib"
> directory, or create a parallel install. Or you could just use
> the "bare" set, using its readme for help with autoloads and
> bindings.

'20' https://gitlab.com/dram/red/blob/master/red0.20.0.tar.gz
https://gitlab.com/dram/red/blob/master/red0.20.0.zip
Mods the jed-(pre)0.99.20(-nnn) versions. The tar.gz is
for all kinds of 'nix variants, while the .zip is for
those intrepid souls (if any) compiling jed for msw.

'19' https://gitlab.com/dram/red/blob/master/red0.19.0.tar.gz
Mods the Jed version you get with a Debian/etc "apt-get".

'18' https://gitlab.com/dram/red/blob/master/red0.18.0.zip
This one's for the last pre-compiled, installable MSwin version
[jed_0.99.18-s2.0.6-i154.exe] at www.paneura.com/~dino/wjed.html

4) Going forward:

For now, I'll post updates as replies to this message, so those of you
with threading readers can ignore them if desired.

For the .1 series [Slightly tweaked .0 files plus improved isearch,
minibuffer help for novices, optional "smart_buffer_switch"] I'll try to
put together a (partial) release using a .deb file.

5) The master bill-of-lading / changelog for the 0.[18|19|20].0 sets:

- New files
* lib:
* dired_ex.sl: many major additions; see bottom of post
* dcbmode.sl: HyperText help w/indexes & web/info links
* grepcfl.sl: Convenient grep/grep_mode, plus cflow_mode
* eec.sl: Experimental mix of CUA and Emacs 'emulations'

* mswutil.sl: MS-Win support, mostly easy font-setting stuff.
* redbind.sl: support for site.sl changes [see below]
* slcompat.sl emulations for SL2.1+ intrinsics missing in SL2.0
* redutils.sl: support functions, mostly for dired & tdbmode

* lib/colors:
* tangodark.sl: A favorite color scheme of the emacs crowd, now in S-Lang
* ganatomy.sl lower-contrast color scheme suitable for terminal versions

* doc/hlp:
* drfuns.hlp: doc file for these and other things coming
* libindex.hlp: Jed/S-Lang lib function index for dcbmode (press u or ^)
* doc:
* jed-quickref.html Guido & J's doc modified, mostly to use jeddoc.css/.js
* jeddoc.css mostly keyboard-key pseudo-icons
* jeddoc.js supports emulation-variable bindings, selected via
button or, e.g., http://.../jed-quickref.html?emu=cua

- Modified non-SLang files: [.18/.20 .zip versions only]
* w32shell.c: fix bug w/external cmds containing spaces in MSW
* w32shell.exe

- Minor tweaking to lib files:
+ cmode.sl:
+ bind ^Ch to help_for_word_at_spot() [also for S-Lang]
+ add same to menu
+ add compile()/compile_parse_errors() to mode-menu
+ add compact style in c_set_style()
+ add c_set_style_ui()
+ emacs.sl:
+ Search menu: add isearch
+ various ^X.. bindings set via redbind::emacs_setkeys("^X") call
+ help.sl:
+ calls to dcb "browser"
+ improved order in describe_mode(x): return x_mode() before x()
+ popups.sl:
+ File menu: add dired
+ Buffers Menu:
+ substitute bufed() for list_buffer;
+ add to toggle: "Embedded Color"
+ add to select mode: "View as Info"
+ Windows/color menu:
+ add msw-conditional font items
+ reorganize Xjed vs lo-colors
+ add to System menu: grep
+ help menu:
+ add Guide:startfile(quickref)
+ add Help Index
+ remove Browse Docs, as they're now in the Help Index
+ add dcb_mode() to about_jed() for web access to Jed Home Page
+ pushmode.sl:
+ pop_mode() fix of longstanding bug, to allow recursivity
+ site.sl:
+ add Mode:O to help_for_help_string / help_prefix()
+ dired for dirs on cmdline [allows "jed ."]
+ via redbind.sl:
+ MSWin Only: mswutil [and other stuff from default.sl]
+ autoload of dired.sl changed to dired_ex.sl
+ add to autoload: lua, grep, cflow_mode, find_file_bufed_aware
+ add to Mode_List_Exts/Modes: octave=>matlab

6) Finally, a (partial) list of fixes and new features in my dired_ex.sl:

Added:
Relevant buffer's state updated after file rename or move.
Also: after delete of open file, queries user to delete buffer.
When dired called within bufed, dir defaults to line's file's dir.
Also: find_file_bufed_aware() for external binding.
If called from a buffer with a file, cursor placed on that file;
otherwise, tries not to place cursor on "."/".."
Now noting wildcards [if any and not * or *.*] on 2nd line.
Saving filespec (wildcard or fixed), if any, for 'g' & 's' cmds.
Syntax coloring for directories/links and header/footer.
Syntax coloring for *~ using dynamically-created "dim" color.
Optional parameter: dired(dirname) bypasses user prompt for dir.
[needed for Org-Mode, and w/command_line_hook() support for "jed ." ]
MSW linked-directories [JUNCTIONs & SYMLINKDs] handled, sort of
Mouse buttons: on 1st line, cd up into dir clicked on;
Ctrl-mouse-: 1=open this win, 2=open "other" win.
" toggles Dired_Q_Param mode: allows spaces in files under linux
s dired_change_order() [default same; toggle to recent-1st w/mixed files+dirs]
Prefix-Arg to experiment with sort orders; saved til end-of-session;
for permanent changes via .jedrc:
custom int `Dired_Sort_Index' to change default prior to 's' command;
user custom list \var{Dired_Add_Args} gets added to front of sort orders.
S Same but in reverse order.
r now incorporates dired_move if 1 or more files are tagged
[Gnu-emacs style and frees up 'm' to non-delete-mark]
m now marking all NON-delete operations
d now flagging ONLY delete operations
[also: d, m and u now tag multiple files w/prefix-arg, and
region-tag: any file on line w/even 1 char of region]
o or Space: dired_find_other_win() [f same win]
also: new CR/Spc/Tab bindings optimize compat. w/Jed-bufed, Emacs, browsers:
CR=open this win, Spc=open other win, Tab=next line
Alt-Return [or ^C-Return] dired_open_via_os()
Also: ^U/Alt-1: open as superuser/Admin; ^U^U/Alt-2: open in emacs
2 Open file and (~)backup or 2 selected by active region [f1,f2 or f1,d2/f1]
b Back to last directory [useful for linked-directories; only 1 level saved]
+ dired_create_dir()
- dired_uplevel() [or ^ per Emacs tradition]
Also: spot moved to line of dir user came up from
U dired_untag_all()
*m mark by wildcard [*.o] expression: dired_mark_files_glob()
*d flag for delete by wildcard expression: dired_mark_files_glob()
*u untag by wildcard expression: dired_unmark_files_glob()
%m mark by regular expression: dired_mark_files_regexp()
%d flag for delete by regular expression: dired_mark_files_regexp()
%u untag by regular expression: dired_unmark_files_regexp()
%m and %u: ^h pops regexp-help if w/special regexp.sl & mini.sl
c Copy tagged files to requested directory.
Also: if no tags, copy single-file to filepath
! arbitrary shell command on all tagged files " * " or each " ? "
M chmod tagged files [presently Unix-only, absolute octal-only]
O chown tagged files [Unix-only]
G chgrp tagged files [Unix-only]
L Create symbolic-links to tagged files [Unix-only]
y type info [includes 'nix/cygwin 'file' command and mediainfo if avail]
< > or Ctrl-Up/Dn : Move to prev/next directory.
Alt-Up/Dn : Move to next tagged item.
Shift-Up/Dn : Move to next regular file [if NOT BOUND, e.g. by wmark]

w32 fixes:
fixes [w32 only] for spaces in files [dired_point()]
kludge [w32 only] for spaces in path [dired_read_dir()]
fixes at C:\ by moving msdos_fixup_dirspec() in dired_read_dir()
fixes dired_rename() under WIN32

.dram
don raines allston ma
https://gitlab.com/dram/red
[Yes, I fixed visabilty problem so there's no more "red2"
directory.]