Re: [jed-users] modifying help menu?

You can just put menu_append_item() calls into any of the startup files:

menu_append_item("Global.&Help", "&dcb-mode", "dcb_mode");

- jed.rc or .jedrc in your home dir. Problem here is you'll have to do
that for both root and non-root-user(s). Unless you ln them.

- Puting the calls into lib/defaults.sl or lib/jed.rc risks having them
re-written by the next install, as you fear. Except that debian-derived
dists don't seem to include a jed.rc

- I suppose, if you are using a debian-derived dist, you also have the
option of creating/using a file in the /etc/jed.d directory.

popups.sl has not been run when defaults and jedrc are run, so your
items will appear at the top of the list. But the menubar and its top-level
menus have already been defined so "Global.&Help" is valid.

I mostly use .99.19 under linux, but have done this w/.99.20 under minix
and mswin, and it works there.

[the specific call up top is from my jedrc from when I was first testing my
DocBrowse help system (which I highly recommend, if I do say so myself),
to turn it on manually.]

.dram