[jed-users] Hello

Greetings. I've just joined this list [after occasional web-lurking
during the past 2.5 years] and wanted to say hi and announce the work
I've been doing on Jed.

35 years ago I was introduced to emacs, and seperately lisp. I adored
the former; the latter, well, to paraphrase someone, "I don't hate lisp,
I just feel better when it's not around".

I always wanted a lighter-weight emacs-like editor, extensible in some
C-inspired language. Long ago I made do with Epsilon, but wanted a GPL
editor that I could contribute to. Somehow, Jed slipped under my radar.
Guess I got it confused with Joe and jEdit.

Since I found Jed, I've been quietly hacking away. The result is my
"Red Project: Jed, Revisited", at https://gitlab.com/dram/red

There are too many files to just use jedmodes: my initial release has
8 files, the next will have about 20, although half are just minor
tweaks of Jed's base files. If anyone wants to post individual files
from my releases to jedmodes, feel free.

The 3 main files in 0.x.0-beta are:

- dcbmode.sl: "DocBrowse" turns help buffers into hypertext, with
subject and main indexes, and support for .txt, .info, and .html
links. Plus 2 hlp files [index + my-stuff]; a 3rd with fresh doc for
many existing but undocumented routines is coming.

- dired.sl: a massive expansion, including many [most?] of the features
of Gnu Emacs dired. Still doesn't support multiple buffers, but I've
got support code for that that will appear later. It's based on
0.99.18 code, as my initial releases are meant to support the latest
installable wJed I know of, and the 0.99.19 version available via
apt-get. I'll add 0.99.20's internal 'ls' emulation eventually.

- grepcfl.sl: yet another grep interface/mode, plus Cflow mode. The
emphasis of this grep is ease-of-use: just mark region and hit the
command, with memory of last-command for each mode. I'm apologizing
in advance for not starting with Gunther & Dino's code. Now that
I've glanced at it I realize I'm missing features, which will be
added, with proper attribution.

Thanks for reading this far, and I await bug reports, on this list if you
wish, or at
d o t d r a m -at- p r o t o n m a i l . c o m

-dram, Don Raines, Allston, Massachusetts

P.S. John, 3 items:
1) In the medium term, I'm headed towards releasing a full set of Jed
source files. In the long term, however, I'd love for everything in
this "fork" to get folded back into your main version.
2) Perusal of the code will show I'm being a little a.r. [trying to keep
the list clean] about copyright. This is partially because I want to
keep open the option of hosting on a site like "gna". Eventually, I'm
not neccesarily adverse to signing everything over to you, and/or
following your lead if you change licenses.
3) Assuming you're in the Cambridge area, it would be trivial for us to
meet face-to-face to discuss these and other issues.