Re: [jed-users] catch output from pipe_region?

On 16.04.14, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> I need the md5sum of the current buffer.
> With pipe_region() I can send the buffer contents to the external md5sum
> command, but how can I catch its output (without writing it into a file)?

Mit ishell.sl von jedmodes.sf.net:

shell_command: library function

 SYNOPSIS
  Run a shell command

 USAGE
  Void shell_command(cmd="", output_handling=0)

 USAGE
  Void shell_command(cmd="", String output_buffer)

 DESCRIPTION
 Executes `cmd' in a shell.
 If no argument is given, the user will be prompted for a command to execute.

 Output handling is controled by the second argument
      -1   ignore the output,
       0   a new buffer is opened for the output (if there is output).
       1   output will be inserted on the edition point,
       2   output replaces the region/buffer.
       3   return output as string
       4   message output
  "<name>" name of a new buffer for the output

 NOTES
 The default is set using prefix_argument(0), i.e. you can set the output
 handling tag via `set_prefix_argument', too.

 SEE ALSO
  run_shell_cmd, shell_cmd, filter_region, shell_cmd_on_region