Re: [Jed-users-l] OT: slrn as an MUA?

On 2013-11-16 Bob Bernstein wrote:

> Dear Dr. Davis,

> My mailreader (mutt) identifies your MUA as your own slrn. This
> suggests you might be following the list via a newsgroup. Is this
> correct, if so, what newsgroup do you follow? (Or, do you have an
> slrn config that, in so many words, turns it into an MUA that can
> read ordinary mail spool files?)

I take the freedom to answer.

Yes, you can do both. I read jed-users via news.gmane.org. The
group is called "gmane.editors.jed.user". I don't recall if you
must be subscribed to the list in order to post to it. I am
subscribed but have turned off message delivery via the mailman
interface.

As for using slrn as an mua, John posted a message to
slrn-users earlier this year detailing how to do it. I quote
his message below:

  Morten
                   --------------------------

   From: "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Newsgroups: gmane.network.slrn.user
   Subject: Re: Reading from a maildir
   Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 23:43:45 -0500
   Cc: slrn-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   To: Wolfgang Schnerring <wosc@xxxxxxx>

   Wolfgang Schnerring <wosc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
   > It turns out, the filenames used by the MTA are the reason
   > (they look like this:
   > "1238693874_1.1813.elzar,U=15,FMD5=e42be6580d0096a1aff2feecb8227077:2,S").
   > When I rename them to be just numbers (by cutting off everything after the first
   > dot and removing the _), slrn enters the group without issue for the first time,
   > but hangs (with 100% CPU usage) when trying to enter the group again.

   What version of slrn are you using?  Do you have it compiled to use 64
   bit article ids?  `slrn --version` will answer these questions.

   Are the article ids random?  slrn assumes them to be sequential.

   I use procmail to put my emails in the appropriate maildir format that
   slrn can read.  For this particular list, I use the following rule in
   my .procmailrc file:

      :0
      * ^From slrn-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      List/slrn-users/.

   Note the trailing "." after the "/" -- it is required.

   In my .slrnrc file I use:

     #ifdef LIST
     set spool_inn_root "/home/john/Mail/List"
     set spool_root "/home/john/Mail/List"
     set spool_nov_root "/home/john/Mail/List"
     set server_object "spool"
     set read_active 1
     server "/home/john/Mail/List"  ".jnewsrc.list"
     set scorefile "News/Score-List"
     set replyto ""
     set reply_string "%r <%f> wrote:"
     #endif

   I have a number of mailing lists under /home/john/Mail/List ---
   slrn-users is one of them.

   Then to read the mailing lists, I startup slrn via:

      slrn -DLIST

   I hope this helps.