Re: [Jed-users-l] editing symbolic links

Ulli Horlacher <framstag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I edit a file via a symbolic link, I would like to see in jed the
> real file name.

It used to be that way.  It was changed because there are apparantly
some version control systems whose checked-out files are symbolic
links to files with random names, e.g.,

   /home/me/proj/foo.c -> /var/cache/vcs/proj/32277BCAAC

Using the real file name in this case is not the thing to do.  Also
should jed handle the following situation when editing foo?

   foo -> /tmp/bar
   bar

About backups: jed's standard way of doing backups for the first
example would be to move the file 32277BCAAC to 32277BCAAC~, and then
overwriting 32277BCAAC with the new version:

   /var/cache/vcs/proj/32277BCAAC    <--- /home/me/proj/foo.c
   /var/cache/vcs/proj/32277BCAAC~

(Now that I think about it more, I believe jed should also create a
 link foo.c~ to 32277BCAAC~.  Currently it does not).

I believe that you are now using backups.sl.  It implements a
different backup system that it does have the behavior described above
with respect to symbolic links. Perhaps this weekend I will have time
to rework backups.sl to be more consistent with the default behavior.

I will also see if I can make the behavior that you want with respect
to the real filename configurable.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.