[Jed-users-l] zz xx

The following is only slightly related to jed but hopefully useful for some
of you.

I have written a UNIX based server software (*) which allows users of any
operating system to personally exchange files of ANY size:

http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/

Now to the jed related point :-)

Like most of you, my working is very text (command line) centric:
I use a lot UNIX pipes in bash, mutt, jed and other programs.
Because it is not easy to pipe data directly between running instances of
these programms I first have written a generic clipboard: zz

http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fstools/zz.html

It works a little bit like the X mouse buffer, but without X and mouse :-)

One can write (any) data to the zz clipboard and extract this data any
times - until it is overwritten.

I have written two small slang functions and bound them to keys, with I
can write a selection or the whole jed buffer to the zz clipboard or
import the zz clipboard.

zz is just a small shell script and works only within the same account.
You cannot exchange data with other users, not mentioning other hosts.

But with F*EX it is now possible to do the same across the Internet!

http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/usecases/xx.html

(*) The F*EX software is free available, but I am not allow to offer F*EX
    as a free service. You have to install it on your own server to use it.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Informationssysteme und Serverbetrieb
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx