Trouble with mail_mode (email.sl et al.)

I'm very new to jed so I might be overlooking something really basic
here, yet I've tried for a while to figure out what goes wrong when I
attempt to use wjed with mail_mode.  I downloaded the email.sl file
from the website [1] and saved it to the "lib" directory.

I then put autoload("mail_mode", "email") into my jed.rc and after I
start jed, I push Esc x, enter mail_mode and all I get is a message
saying "ifnot is undefined".  Did I miss some important step here?

In the Quick Reference, there is a mention of byte-compiling .sl
files, so I tried that, too.  Trying to byte_compile_file("email.sl",
0) gives

C:\Programme\JED\lib\email.sl:66: Expecting ;: found 'make_keymap'

Line 66 of that file reads:

ifnot (keymap_p(mode)) make_keymap (mode);

which seems OK to me, but as I said, I'm new to jed, so maybe there is
indeed some error in that code?  I doublechecked that the file
downloaded correctly so there shouldn't be a transfer error here.

I then tried another/older version [2] which I could at least compile
after I commented out some lines referring to USE_ANSI_COLORS. Using
that version seems to be OK, but I'm really confused which version I
actually should use now.  One problem with this version is that even if
I start the program with "wjed -f mail_mode filename.txt", it doesn't
show quoted material in another color until after I do Esc x mail_mode
again.  I also tried wjed --mail_mode as I couldn't figure out what the
difference between "-f name" and "--name" was.  What could be the cause
of this?

TIA
Jens

[1] http://jedmodes.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/jedmodes/mode/email/email.sl?revision=1.8